Poor Eyelid Closure (Lagophthalmos)
Some patients suffer from constant eye pain because they cannot completely close their eye (often called lagophthalmos). Eye discomfort is common when the eyelids cannot close and cause the cornea to become dry (often called exposure keratopathy).
Common Causes of Poor Eyelid Closure
- A poor (or incomplete) blink reflex
- History of prior surgery
- Facial nerve palsy (a seventh cranial nerve injury) from a tumor, stroke, or Bell’s Palsy
- Bulging eyes (proptosis)
- Eye drops or ointments
- Allowing tears to stay on the eye longer (punctal occlusion)
- Insertion of a weight into the upper eyelid (often gold or platinum)
- Lowering the upper eyelid (levator recession)
- Tightening and elevating the lower eyelid (ectropion repair)
- Bringing the eye backward (orbital decompression)
- Partial closure of the eye (tarsorrhaphy)
Due to the complex anatomy of the face, is it important to see a surgeon who has completed extensive training to make sure you get the best possible result.
Dr. Neel Kumar completed years of training in order to specialize in treating eyelid conditions. We will work with you to develop a care plan based on your individual case and needs.
Meet Dr. Kumar
Neel Kumar, M.D. is a board-certified ophthalmologist and a fellowship-trained oculoplastic surgeon and aesthetic specialist at Triad Eye Institute in Tulsa, OK.
Dr. Kumar completed his fellowship training in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery of the face, orbit, and lacrimal system at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL and the Duke Eye Hospital in Durham, NC.
He performs a variety of oculoplastic and reconstructive procedures, including ptosis repair, upper and lower blepharoplasty, cancer reconstruction, tear duct surgery, cosmetic injections and more.
Schedule a Consultation
We encourage you to schedule a consultation with Triad Eye Institute today. During our meeting, we will advise on whether or not you’re an ideal candidate for Cataract Surgery, as well as compose a custom treatment plan designed to achieve the clear vision you’ve always wanted. Call our office today and one of our seasoned staff members will be able to assist you.